[filmscanners] RE: keeping the 16bit scans

> whereas some of the 120 GB EIDE 7200 rpm ATA 133 hard drives
> from Maxtor and Western Digital that I have bought just this
> year have failed and needed to be replaced within a month or
> two in the case of one Maxtor and one Western Digital drive
> and within 3-6 months in the case of another Maxtor and
> another Western Digital.

Personally, I wouldn't touch either one of those brands. I stick with
IBM and Seagate, although had I not skipped a generation and got one of
the 75 gig IBM's I would probably be cursing IBM. Sometimes a vendor has
a bad model. Personally, I like the Seagates because they're so
unbelievably quiet. I'm talking about 7200 rpm and lower, not the
noisier 10K and 15K speed demons. I believe they're only SCSI anyhow,
way beyond my means. I really don't get the point of SCSI disks anymore,
except in servers. I have them at work in my workstation but I really
can't say they make a difference to a C++ compiler, which is the
software I mostly use. We're talking compute-bound when dealing with
compilers, and probably with PS, too.

Frank Paris
frankparis@comcast.net