[filmscanners] RE: keeping the 16bit scans

I would not use CDs either for several reasons. They don't seem to be as
reliable as HDs. They have only a low capacity which poses a major hassle if
you have to back up many GBs of data (switching CDs all the time). Burning
CDs is fairly slow. They use up much more space then HDs. The are not
rewritable unless you use CDRWs which are even a bigger hassle then CDRs,
etc.
But I agree with you that a RAID system is not the best solution either if
your main concern is backup. Personally, I have a big external HD that I
only connect to the computer when I do a backup. The backup is done
automatically once a week (I only have to remember to connect the HD). If
you need to bring the files to other places get an extern USB2/Firewire HD.
Otherwise just use a relatively cheap removable HD. Both approaches are
quite reliable and simple. In addition if you get a BAD virus it will only
wipe out the HD in your computer and not the removable one (if it's not in
the computer).

Robert