[filmscanners] Re: SS4000--need help troubleshooting

Just to clarify things here. There are several different things that matter
whether you can just power on the scanner and use it, or if you have to
power it on at boot time, etc.

It all is based on the fact that scanners use different interfaces, such as
SCSI, USB or FireWire (aka IEEE-1394).

If the interface is designed to have things plugged in and out at random,
so called "Plug and play" operation, it will support automatic recognition
of devices that are either plugged in or powered on as and when this
happens. This applies to USB and FireWire. In this case, it's something
wrong in the OS or hardware if you can't plug in or power on the scanner
while the system is running.

SCSI on the other hand is not intended for plug&play in this manner. Since
SCSI is (was) primarily designed for hard disks and the like, it has a
"allow spin up time" included in the scan mechanism, and most people also
don't have new hard disks plugged in/out at random, so there was no need to
implement a mechanism to acknowledge a new device being plugged in (note:
this is different than, for example, changing the CD in a CD-ROM, for which
there is a way to tell the rest of the system about the event). So, if you
are using a scanner that uses SCSI, you shouldn't really complain if it
doesn't work when you plug in or power on the scanner after the system has
booted (in fact, hot-plugging SCSI devices is not really a good idea, so
don't go plugging in & out the cables, or at least don't blame me if
something goes wrong if you do).

As long as a SCSI device is plugged in, you can force a scan of the SCSI
chain some way (depending on OS type and version) once you have powered up
the system. This should cause the OS to find the previously unfound device.
In Windows, this is easiest done by doing a "search for new devices" in
Device Manager, but you also scan do it on the SCSI adapter, I think. In
MacOS, I think you can get it on the SCSI device in the control panel.

Hope this is of some help to some of you, and I haven't wasted too much of
the valuable bandwidth (at least there is a connection to Film Scanners...).

--
Mats