[filmscanners] Color Management System and NikonScan 3.1.2 (PC)

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Color Management System and NikonScan 3.1.2 (PC)
  • From: "Ed Verkaik" <verkaik@sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 13:47:01 -0500

Fellow scanners,

I am slowly getting used to my 4000ED scanner but would like your advice
on colour management.  I want to:
- scan hires masters for stock use
- balance accuracy with simplicity
- not do hardware calibration for my monitor (Flexscan560)

In NikonScan, the best results I see come with Colour Management on,
using "Scanner RGB."  This is their widest gamut setting for PC.
Apparently, if I were to turn CMS off, it defaults to the Windows RGB
standard (ICM?).  When PS7 opens these files, the "profile mismatch"
dialog comes up and I opt to discard the profile.

Can anyone explain if this is a problem and what a better solution might
be? Or, does it matter all that much, given that I do not want to be
over-meticulous and want to keep things simple even if not absolutely
perfect.  What would be an easy non-calibrated set of choices for the
scanning and PS file work?

Thanks.
Ed Verkaik