[filmscanners] Raw file format (was: is this about as good asitgets?

>By the way, does anybody have any info on Canon's raw format?

I don't specifically; but from other discussions I understand it is the camera
sensor data (Bayer GRGB [green, red, green, blue]) before Bayer color
transform, white balance, and alias ("false color filter") processing.  I just
checked a few 6 megapixel D60 raw files; they are around 6.6 to 8.3 MBytes plus
~12KB for a separate thumbnail file.  Canon has released a SDK.  There are a
couple of SW offerings that do raw conversion based on that (I use Breeze
Browser).

You can find an article "What is a RAW format file?" at

 www.digitalfocus.net/sections/views/WhatisRAW/WhatisRAW_1.htm

and reviews of Canon raw conversion SW at

 www.digitalfocus.net/sections/reviews/CanonRAWpt1/RAWIntro/RAWIntro.htm

--
Bob Shomler
http://www.shomler.com/