[filmscanners] RE: Filmscanners - is this about as good asitgets?

Hi Bob,

> Please realise that I'm new to this digicam business, but it
> seems that, as
> Julian said, when the raw file is converted to a tiff or jpeg in camera,
> only part of the recorded 'dynamic' range is used.

That could be, but for TIFF is not necessarily a requirement.  TIFF can
store raw image data with no modification.  I would guess JPEG could as
well...but without looking it up, I don't know off the top of my head.

> If you do that
> conversion
> in computer with Nikon Capture or similar raw file converter,
> then it seems
> you have the choice of which bits of the range to throw away (as well as
> rechoosing how you want it sharpened, what color temperature,
> etc). I may be
> wrong here; if I am, would those more knowledgeable about how these things
> work correct me please.

If Nikon Capture only allows you to convert from some proprietary raw format
to a "polished" (as in processed) image, then I understand what you are
doing, and why.  My initial point was, you SHOULD be able to do what you are
doing simply using the raw image data, but if it is in a format you can't
use, then obviously you can't!

> My experience with some 300 images processed so far suggests that I can
> recover more highlight or shadow detail by reprocessing the raw
> file with a
> different exposure setting (takes about 5 secs) than I can by using levels
> or curves on the normally exposed and converted image.

Agreed, but that seems to be, unfortunately, a limitation of using the
proprietary raw image format.

> To do that on my
> LS4000 with more or less analog gain takes ages and you can never be sure
> that the two images will register perfectly.

Actually, with the LS4000 you would not need to do three scans, if the
scanner can return data in raw image format, then you can do what you want
in PS.

> In the space of just 6 weeks  with my D100 I've become a full convert to
> digital. I'm even getting sharper images, because, unlike you, I
> don't use a
> tripod very often,

I NEVER use a tripod!  I am aunty-tripod in fact.

> and I can now use shutter speeds of 1000-2000 by simply
> winding up the sensitivity when necessary (100 - 3200 iso at the
> tip of your
> finger). Ok you get extra noise with the higher sensitivities, but then
> faster films tend to have more grain, and you can't keep swapping film.

I agree, being able to change ISO from one shot to the next is a very nice
thing to be able to do.  At some point in time, I will get a digital
35mm-esque camera...but for the type of work I like to do, shooting B&W film
and scanning it and printing using quadtone inks gives me exactly the
results and process I like.

If you wouldn't mind, check if you can get a raw TIFF out of the Nikon
Capture software...I'd be interested to know that.  I'll ask on the Nikon
Digital list I am on as well.

Regards,

Austin