[filmscanners] RE: Filmscanners - is this about as good asitgets?

> I'd say that all professionals and semi-professional users have one.
> However, there are a large amount of happy snappers out there that could
> probably buy one if the price was a bit lower. Ok, so it's not going to be
> tens of millions of units like the flat-bed scanners, but until
> the Digital
> cameras are available at a similar price to a film scanner (in similar
> amount of megapixels), it would still be a good possibility of buying a
> film scanner. Similarly, if you have a camera system that uses standard
> film-size, but isn't a Nikon or Canon, then you'd probably have a fair
> amount of money spent on lenses that would prevent you from
> changing to the
> latest greatest Digital SLR, since it's going to cost a small fortune to
> buy new lenses. Ok, so you may end up with a second Digital SLR for the
> most popular scenes with a generic lens (or one of a special kind,
> depending on what your popular motive is). Still need a film-scanner to
> make good use of the negatives from the old camera, right?

In my experience, not so. If I look at the sort of people you are talking
about who are the sort of folks in our local camera club, only a small
percentage have ever got or are interested in a film scanner (all the sort
of long time Pentax, OM, Canon, Nikon users I think you mean). But they are
jumping on the digital bandwagon like crazy - higher end Nikon hybrid slr
digitals, and especial Canon D60's.

tim