[filmscanners] Any Imacon Flextight Precision II owners out there?

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Any Imacon Flextight Precision II owners out there?
  • From: "Tony Terlecki" <ajt@mrps.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 20:43:48 +0000

I know of one that's being sold and I am debating the pros and cons of
getting it. Currently have a LS-4000 and an Epson 1680 pro. The Epson really
isn't good for decent medium format enlargements (I use it mostly for
contact sheets) - it doesn't give me the enlargement factor that I want,
there's quite noticeable blooming, and the light source on the transparency
adapter is uneven.

Currently I only shoot 35mm and 120 film (up to 6x9) but I do intend to go
to 4x5 LF in the near future. I had almost settled on getting a Minolta
Multi Pro for 35mm/MF and then trying a newer flatbed in the future for 4x5.
That might still be the way to go. But this Imacon has got me thinking...

So back to the Flextight II. Does anyone have any ideas how it compares to
the LS-8000 or the Multi Pro at MF resolutions (I think is does MF at 3200)?
For 4x5 it only seems to go to 1800dpi which seems a bit low - effectively I
can't even match the file size of a 6x9 piece of film scanned at the higher
resolution. I suspect that newer flatbeds with better dynamic range may
surpass what the Imacon can do for not very much money at all.

How is the windows version of the software? I think it was originally written
for the Mac and have read comments from a while ago that it isn't so good.

So is the Flextight II getting to be a bit long in the tooth? Any issues about
servicing and parts in the future? Are these generally expensive things to do
presently?

Any suggestions generally over a scanner upgrade approach?

Many thanks,

--
Tony Terlecki
ajt@mrps.demon.co.uk