[filmscanners] Re: color correction thoughts

Your comments will be appreciated.

I mostly do art documentation photography so color exactitude
is my main concern. These are 35mm and 645 slides.

I bought a Nikon LS-10 scanner when they came out some years
ago. It is in the Nikon shop but I don't know yet if it
will be worth repairing.

I have never found slide film that reproduced blue paint
well. I am referring to the mounted slide. As for correcting
it digitally that doesnt work because it moves the color
mean of the painting away from its original location.

I also use a Sony VX-1000 3 CCD camcorder for stills. It
has BETTER color exactitude than any slide film either
viewed on a computer screen or printed out. This only seems
to work if default color values of the camcorder are NOT
digitally corrected. When printed out the colors remain
exact. On your computer screen you may see what I am
talking about at http://charlesumlauf.com

As the Sony VX-1000 has 3 CCDS, not 1 filtered CMOS
like the top of the line Canon and Nikon, I would
venture to guess that the Sony will do color more exactly.
(of course the Sony has only 640x480 rez -- 720x480 when
using its Firewire output).

There is a way to check this short of buying a CMOS
Nikon or Canon. If some owner took a picture of a
magazine cover using controlled 3200 degree light and
sent me the uncorrected digital file, I could compare
on the CRT and printing it out it with my copy of the
same magazine cover. Then one would KNOW how well it
handles the colors.

I have tried using color negatives and discovered that
they also screw up in reproducing the various paint
blues. I once got a guy at the photo lab to finetune
some color negatives for some art announcement cards.
A mainly yellow painting printed VERY accurately
color wise.

However the Sony VX-1000 doesnt handle red paint colors
as well as one might hope for.

Again, your comments will be appreciated.

Michael Eisenstadt