[filmscanners] Re: CD Labeling

In answer to the questions about using sharpies to label CDs, and the
deterioration problems associated with them, it is difficult to be specific
because there are variant methods of CD manufacture.  It will take you hours
to wade through case studies and endless detail, but if you want to learn
more check the archives of AV Media Matters at
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byform/mailing-lists/av/google.html

Personally, I do not write on the CD anymore after a year of reading these
posts.  It is enough for me to know that all of the major archives prohibit
writing on CDs or attaching labels to them, and that their reasons are well
considered.

If you are making decisions about this issue, a good common-sense approach
is to consider whether your images need to be kept or not.  If you can't
afford to lose them, then don't risk them.

good luck

Tom Robinson