[filmscanners] Re: How to label CD backups

I'm somewhat puzzled by the proscription not to write on CDs
with markers such as the Sharpie, which use some kind of non-alcohol
solvent. As I understand it, the CD is a thick layer of plastic,
a thin layer of dye, a thin layer of metal, and a thin layer
of lacquer to protect the metal. A solvent-based marker could,
perhaps, soften or slightly deform the layer of lacquer (until
it hardened again), but I don't see how that would affect the
metallic layer beneath, or the dye layer beneath that. If the
dye layer and the metallic layer are unaffected, what is the
presumed risk of using these commonly available markers? Unless
the marker completely exposed the metallic layer or scratched
it, once the marker dried, there would once again be a layer
of lacquer protecting the metal, which in turn protects the dye.

- David