----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Schulmeisters" <karlsch@earthlink.net>

Note that Photoshop does its own internal memory managment EVEN when it is
running on a platform like Windows XP which does a better job of memory mgmt
than Photoshop can.  This is because PS comes from the old AppleOs world
where if you let the OS do your mem-mgmt, you were pretty much dead in the
water.

As a result, unless you start PS with nothing else running, you will
actually be unable to access the full amount of memory you have.
Furthermore, if you do start to hit real-memory boundary limitations, the
swapping algorithms in PS will 'outthink' the virtual memory in Windows and
your performance will go into the toilet.