[filmscanners] Re: rebuild your scanner and get better results

> I'm fairly new here, but just wanted to provide an example of banding on an
> ls400ed.  The scanner is currently in for repair to correct the problem.
> While the "stripes" were intermittent it sounded like a known problem to

This is not the banding we were talking about. The banding phenomenon
of the LS-8000 occurs only on that particular scanner and makes
pictures look a bit like inkjet prints from a printer with clogged
nozzles.

> Andras said
> >I've never seen x banding on a Coolscan, and it can't even exist in
> principle (that's what the CCD is calibrated for).<
>
> I'm willing to accept Andras's statement at face value, as my particular
> problem may not be calibration.  In my case, these "stripes" can appear at
> any place, any size and frequency on the scan.

By "x" I mean the short side of the 35mm frame. All striping and
banding I have seen so far was in the "y" direction.

I can only speculate what the problem with your scanner is -- a loose
mirror or lens. I guess it sometimes has trouble calibrating itself,
and will refuse to accept film strips as a result?

  Andras