[filmscanners] Re: Digital Darkroom Computer Builders?

> Memory use and management are hugely complicated once the flat address space
> of the architecture is exhausted.  While some x86 machines can physically
> access more than 4 GB of memory, they cannot do so with a simple address,
> since 32 bits imposes 4 GB as a limit.  Thus, going beyond this on an x86
> (Wintel) machine requires the same sorts of severely inefficient kludges
> that were used under DOS to get past a 16-bit address limitation.  I have
> absolutely no desire to start down that path again; a 64-bit machine is
> preferable.

I know that. By confining processes and threads to 4GB each, you have
to do very little extra work when switching processes to access
address space beyond 4GB. There is no measurable inefficiency
involved, unlike the 16-bit workaround for pre-386 PCs, because the
address translation is done by the memory management unit.

In any case, the x86 platform will have been replaced by the IA64 and
AMD's Hammer before you can put significantly more than 4GB into a PC.

> Good color and sRGB are contradictions in terms.  But since sRGB is a color
> space deliberately designed to be as restricted as a TV set, it's no wonder
> that it would look good on any monitor.  I never use sRGB for anything.  I
> wish I could use something like Wide Gamut, but no display will support
> that.

You cannot expect any monitor to display more than sRGB, that's
exactly what sRGB is for. You can't display Wide Gamut because the
monitor's gamut isn't sufficient. The sRGB setting on these monitors
simply means a pre-calibrated setting that makes the monitor behave as
close to sRGB as possible. No settings, no chance of user error.

If you're talking about compressing Wide Gamut into the gamut of the
monitor, then that's the task of the software you are using and not
related to the monitor.

  Andras