[filmscanners] Re: Digital Darkroom Computer Builders?

Laurie writes:

> By shifting the monies around, you could
> probably get a slower processor and buy more
> RAM ...

Actually, I tried that, but virtually all machines place a huge emphasis on
processor speed, and treat RAM as an afterthought.  My current machine
doesn't even have enough slots for me to add as much memory as I'd like; and
even if it did, since it came with Windows XP Home Edition, which is
deliberately crippled to prevent it from supporting the full hardware
addressing capability for memory, the most I could have added would have
been another 512 MB.  I could easily use 8 GB if that were possible (but
it's not, not with current 32-bit processor architecture).

> ... for a few additional dollars, you can get
> a RAID motherboard or even add a RAID card
> with up to four 7200 RPM EIDE 120MB Western
> Digital hard drives with 8MB caches.

That would have been a lot more than a few extra dollars.

I was strapped for cash as it was.  I was forced to buy a machine in order
to support my new scanner, because the old machine, being more than eight
weeks old, was already running on obsolete hardware.

> I personally would prefer two 21 inch CRT
> monitors or a single 21 inch CRT monitor
> and a 17 CRT inch monitor for the palettes
> to a single LCD monitor of any size or a CRT
> monitor bigger than 21 inches.

The prices for most of those options are very high.  LCD monitors of
acceptable quality cost 5-8 times more than comparable CRTs, and good CRTs
are already very expensive.  And have you tried bending over a desk with a
130-pound CRT in your hand to position it on the desk?