[filmscanners] Re: OT: RE: Get a Mac... or a VAX?

> This was also the claim of the VAX/VMS marketing group and development team
> (of which I was a part, many years ago when minis were king and the Xerox
> Star was the closest thing we had to todays Mac or Windows machine).

Anyone want a VAX? I know someone who's trying to get rid of a pair of
servers and a bunch of workstations... the servers are only 50cm x
70cm x 70cm (estimated)...

> It's somewhat true.  There are many things inherent in the Mac BIOS/OS that
> facilitate graphics more so than in a PC.  It's only recently with Visual
> bla bla, that you have easier access to using some of these things.

That's right, you can see that even if you just think of
ColorSync. It's been there in MacOS for a long time. Now look at
Microsoft -- they are member of the ICC, therefore they are OBLIGED to
implement ICC software at the OS level (according to the ICC
agreement), which to this day they have failed to do. Instead, each
image program, each scanner and printer driver brings along its own
copy of a colour management system. (Not that they are the only member
of the ICC that doesn't follow the terms and conditions, though.)

Furthermore, look at MacOS X: Most of it is based on
NextStep/OpenStep, the environment that once drove one of the biggest
names in desktop publishing (Next).

BTW, having OpenStep makes the whole C#/CORBA/COM/.NET bull****
redundant. It has been there for so long, it's much more elegant and
simple, but somehow nobody seems to realize that.

  Andras