[filmscanners] Re: Digital Darkroom Computer Builders?

Gannet writes:

> And, to keep this somewhat on-topic, the thing
> that is really driving this for me is wanting
> to scan to larger and larger file sizes and be
> able to deal with the resulting files before
> I turn old and gray.

One thing I can say is that, at least on my machine, scanning MF and
scanning 35mm are like night and day.  35mm is no problem, even at 4000 dpi.
MF is a problem.  With 1.5 GB of RAM (all that the machine can hold in its
three RAM slots with 512 MB each), it takes forever to load and do much of
anything else with 470 MB scans.  And most of that, as far as I can tell, is
due to problems with Photoshop, which is still using a 1985 memory model
designed to work with the archaic Macs of that period.

In fact, I can manipulate a TIFF file of a MF scan, then try to save it as a
JPEG, and watch Photoshop drop memory from 1.5 GB to 40 KB (yes, you read
correctly!) at which point it tells me that there isn't enough memory in the
system to save the file!  That's not Windows, that's Photoshop.  The only
solution is to close Photoshop, reopen it, reload the file, and save it as a
JPEG immediately.

Worse yet, Photoshop must be told how much memory to use, and it never uses
all that you give it; instead, it starts churning on disk long before that.

Adobe needs to spend less time turning Acrobat into a perfect vehicle for
viruses and more time rewriting the memory-management code in Photoshop.