[filmscanners] Re: Digital Darkroom Computer Builders?

Robert writes:

> Being able to actually see these colours
> on the monitor, rather than an 8 bit
> representation makes the process even
> better.

Most monitors can't come anywhere close to displaying even 24-bit color, and
none manage it completely.  Higher color depths look exactly the same on the
monitor.  The only advantage to higher color depths is the headroom they
provide for manipulation (although this is a crucial advantage); you can't
see the difference on the screen.

> As an aside, I wonder how many of us here
> have chosen our graphics card for its colour
> rendition, and where do we find info on this.

I've never worried much about the video card.  The monitor is pretty much
always the weakest link.  Even more frustrating is that the best monitors
are still huge, heavy CRTs.  And CRTs gradually wear out, like the vacuum
tubes that they are.