[filmscanners] Re: How to clean the mirror of LS-2000?

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 21:31:05 +0200  Tadej Bregar
(Tadej.Bregar@guest.arnes.si) wrote:

> So, is it possible to clean the mirror by myself or is this the job
> solely of Authorized Nikon service and their specially trained
> technician.

It will almost certainly be a surface-silvered mirror (like an SLR mirror)
and the reflective coating will be extremely fragile and susceptible to
damage. You are supposed to not attempt such things, but I have
successfully cleaned SLR mirrors on several occasions, using Kodak lens
cleaning solution and a fibre-free soft pad. The big danger is of grinding
dirt against the metallic surface, so you have to be VERY gentle and use a
succession of clean pads with clean solution to lift dirt away, not scrub
it in.

A possibly better and safer method may be to use one of the latex-like lens
cleaners, which you brush or pour on, then it sets into an elastic film and
can be peeled away complete with muck. But if it takes the silvering with
it, or bits of film end up in the scanner mechanism, don't blame me!

Regards

Tony Sleep - http://www.halftone.co.uk