[filmscanners] Re: Compression >> Wide range digital

On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 09:20:22 +1000  Julian Robinson (jrobinso@pcug.org.au)
wrote:

> So - is there a digital camera that allows you to record a
> wide-brightness-range raw file?  If not, why not?

Yes, quite a few studio backs and upmarket cameras do. If Canon have any
sense at all, the RAW files will be full range, with an auto-levels
adjustment being applied to produce the Jpegs featured in this review and
causing the restricted range.

A reply from the reviewer says he thinks not, that the limitation is
computing power. We'll see when RAW files become available, I guess. 6stops
 is just not very interesting to me, if it is 10+ I'd just about kill to
get my hands on one.

Regards

Tony Sleep - http://www.halftone.co.uk