[filmscanners] RE: Grain aliasing: Thoughts, solutions?

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Grain aliasing: Thoughts, solutions?
  • From: "Paul D. DeRocco" <pderocco@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 03:23:31 -0700

I don't know how Vuescan works, but in NikonScan, once you've done an
autofocus, you can bump the focus slider manually. Since there's already an
uncertainty of at least a half a count, I'd try bumping it by two, to see if
that helps.

However, I'm not sure defocusing will reduce aliasing, because it probably
has a rectangular response shape (meaning that it turns a dot into a sharply
defined circle, not a fuzzy blob). What's really needed is a diffuser.

NeatImage is a fairly low-cost investment, and I've had some good results
with it.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco