[filmscanners] Re: Cleaning your monitor...

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Cleaning your monitor...
  • From: "Julian Vrieslander" <julianv@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 13:18:10 -0400

On 10/08/02 7:23 AM, "Maris V. Lidaka Sr." <mlidaka@ameritech.net> wrote:

> I use "Klear" cleaning fluid and cleaning cloth for my coated Trinitron
> monitor (just make a Google search for Klear) and Windex for my 2nd,
> non-coated monitor.

I'm assuming you mean "Klear Screen" cleaner.  You should read completely
through this message before continuing to use this stuff.

When I first tried Klear Screen on my Sony monitor (GDM-F520 CRT, with AR
coating), it left an ugly milky residue.  It was dirtier than before I tried
to clean it.  Very ugly.

At the summer MacWorld expo, I saw a booth with the Klear Screen people.
When I voiced my complaint to one of the salespeople, he passed my off to
the president of the company.  This guy then explained to me that I needed
to use their special new microfiber cloth to polish the screen.  I tried to
explain, without going ballistic, that when I bought their special cleaning
sauce, there was no mention of their special cloth.  At the time, this
product did not even exist.  We eventually reached a compromise.  He sold me
one of their cloths at half price ($5), with an agreement that I could get a
full refund for both sauce and cloth if they did not get the film off the
monitor.

I did manage to get the film off my screen, but I had to polish with rather
high pressure.

The user guide for my Sony monitor recommends a soft cloth for cleaning the
screen.  It also warns against using a glass cleaner with an "anti-static
solution or additive".  They say that this can damage the screen.  Klear
Screen is labeled as containing an anti-static ingredient, so I will
probably not use it anymore.

--
Julian Vrieslander <julianv@mindspring.com>