[filmscanners] Re: Avoiding Newton rings

A few more pieces of info on this product:

Frequently Asked Questions about Ultra-Base

Q. How much of an enlargement of my scan can I do before I begin to pick
up the surface of the Ultra-Base in my reproduction?

A. At enlargements of 600 to 700% will begin to pick up the anti-Newton
coating of Ultra-Base. We would therefore recommend the use of a crystal
clear polyester, such as our Mylar GA-10.

===========
Mylar GA-10
Complementary Products

DuPont Mylar GA-10® is the ultimate in critical clear, pure polyester
that has no coatings or treatment at all.

So it seems like a Mylar sheet of this type may work.  I have noted that
acetate does cause newton-rings itself, so Mylar must have some special
qualities that reduce or remove the problems.

Has anyone tried Mylar with their glass carrier and see if that resolves
things... it is another layer or two (and two or four more surfaces for
dust!) but if your scanner has dICE it may not be a problem, assuming
Mylar is IR transparent.

Art