[filmscanners] Re: What can you advise?

Hi Bob,

Thank you for further clarifying this matter and your detailed
commentary about relative humidity.  I knew there was an issue there (my
dehumidifier instructions went on about it, at some length), but I
wasn't clear on the exact methods of measurement.

Our film storage area is only heated during the winter to about 60
degrees F, which means it can fluctuate to below that at times.  Living
in a "temperate" rain forest, most winters we get rain about 20 or more
days a month here, and the humidity level indoors is ridiculously high
(if not reduced via dehumidification even our double pane windows sweat
rivulets).  This house seems to only let moisture IN... ;-)  We also do
a lot of cooking and canning in the fall/winter months.  We also have a
lot of house plants, which we've been slowly reducing because of the
moisture problems.  We've removed several larger trees that were on the
house or very near it, as they reduced circulation and added and held
moisture.  It was sad to have to see them go, but the roof was rotting
and had to be replaced because of them.  Living in a rain forest is not
without consequences ;-).

Running the dehumidifier for a 24 hour period during the winter months
can lead to as much as 1-2 gallons of water removed from the air here.

Although I have not encountered mold growth on any films (knock wood)
before we bought the dehumidifier we did have mold problems in several
rooms, especially those that were not used often, in corners between
wall and ceiling or wall and wall.

Art