[filmscanners] Re: Thumbnails looking flat

"Alex Zabrovsky" <alexz@zoran.co.il> reported:
"I'm in the process of building image galleries for my soon-to-come up
web site and stumbled in some issue related to image presentation
online. For each image I create thumbnails at 180xXX or XXx180 and the
actual picture linked to it at resolution close to 800x600. I use Save
for Web option of PS7.

"I paid attention that the thumbnails (and perhaps the images linked to
them) look quite flat in terms of colors and contrast on the screen
despite of their good looking originally (TIFF or JEPG in PS7).

"The originals are scanned in Adobe RGB 98 space and their copies
intended for the web are converted to sRGB just prior to Save for Web
operation. Both thumbnails and the actual images are saved as JPEGs. Any
ideas for the reasons for that dullness ?"

I'd look at the sRGB vs. Adobe98 colorspaces as an issue. It sounds like
you did everything correctly, but who knows.  This stuff can get
complicated. If you save the thumbnails using Save As rather than Save
for Web, do they still look flat? If you save the originals using Save
As but do not include the ICC profile, then open the file, assigning an
sRGB colorspace, do they look like the flat images?

I'm sorry I don't have a precise answer, but this is where I'd look.

Preston Earle
PEarle@triad.rr.com