From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Henk de Jong
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 2:19 PM
To: alexz@zoran.co.il
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Thumbnails looking flat

> In fact I apply unsharp mask routinely after scanning (not for all the
> images though - only these needed), so I do not do it again for images
> prepared for web (thumbnails and 800x600).
Rule of thumb is that sharpening should only be applied as the last step in
image processing.

> Do you think it is necessary to increase the amount of Unsharp Mask as
> the image is getting smaller ?
I never use sharpening within VueScan or afterwards on the output file.
I always use sharpening only as the last step after resizing and before
saving the image.

> I suspect probably there might be something inherent into Save for Web
> processing of the images to reduce the sizes further downgrading the
> quality in some way.
> I'll try regular resize and Save instead to see the difference.
Better try an Unsharp Mask as the last step before saving the image :-)

With kind regards,
Henk de Jong