[filmscanners] RE: Which SCSI Card for SS4000

>> SCSI is often not logical when connections get a bit complicated, or
>> even when they're simple. On my last computer I had 4 SCSI chains; 2
>> simple ones allowing 7 devices and 2 of the 15 device kind. Some
>> combinations needed termination in the middle,

>There is never any reason to provide termination in the middle of a SCSI
>chain.  If you do, then something is very wrong.

I probably shouldn't attemt to interpret Henning; but I will. :-)  I think
that what he is referring to is the fact that in most of the 15 device
adapter cards there is really in fact two independent strings of 7 devices
each; and each string needs to be terminated at each end which sometimes
appears to users as beign terminated in the middle since they see the two
strings as being one sting.  This appears also to be the case even in 7
device adapters where you can have both internal and external devices.
While the total number of devices is 7, these cards in effect use two
separate chains (an internal chain and an external chain) and both chains
need to be terminated at each end with the ends attached to the card being
terminated by termination supplied on the card.  To the user, this again
appears as if there is termination in the middle of the chain if they are
using both internal and external devices on the same card.

Typically, the user should not have to do anything special on many of
today's cards when it comes to termination on the end attached to the card
since the card usually does take care of this; but the directiopns often
talk about such terminiation and often in somewhat obtuse terms such that
the user may very well think that they need to do something about
termination on the card end of the cable (internal and/or external).  Some
of the older jumpered cards would reguire the user to change jumpers; but
this is not the case with the newer jumperless cards.