From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Austin Franklin
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 8:00 PM
To: TMaugham@yahoo.com
Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Which SCSI Card for SS4000

Hi Tom,

> Actually my SCSI card has automatic termination so I use that and
> thus don't
> have to worry about having a terminator or the termination switch
> on my last
> device.

I think you're misunderstanding what "automatic termination" means.
Automatic termination, with respect to your SCSI card, is only for the SCSI
card.  If the SCSI card is the last thing on one end of the cable, it'll
detect it, and provide termination.  If your SCSI card is in the middle of
the SCSI chain, it'll disable the termination on the card.  That has nothing
to do with the devices out on the cable(s).  SCSI busses need to be
terminated at BOTH ends.

> My last device was my SS4000 but over the weekend I added an HP
> flatbed scanner which is now the last device. I control both
> through VueScan
> and they work great.

You should make sure the termination is OFF on the SS4k, and ON with the HP
flatbed.  SCSI problems can crop up months later, when temperature changes,
when the phase of the moon changes...if you don't have the SCSI termination
set correctly.  Unfortunately, it's one of the things that's really simple
to do, but for some reason, it causes so many problems.

Regards,

Austin