[filmscanners] understanding contaminated blacks--SS4000--newbie type question

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] understanding contaminated blacks--SS4000--newbie type question
  • From: "" <snsok@swbell.net>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 17:59:52 -0500

When scanning high contrast Velvia transparencies, I am seeing detail loss
in the shadows along with areas that just look muddy brown. I understand
what causes detail loss from shadows with high contrast films but I am
unclear what causes the muddy appearance. When I view the image at 100%
level in PS, I see areas of brown pixels speckled through the blackest
areas.

I can't magnify the actual transparency enough to see at that level. Is what
I am seeing due to noise being introduced into the darkest areas? Is it due
to the contrast range of the transparency exceeding the capabilities of my
scanner? Is this due to the dust on the mirror causing noise artifact in
areas it's most apparent?

Is there anything I can do with Photoshop to remove some of this?

Stan Schwartz