[filmscanners] Re: FS2710 to ---?

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: FS2710 to ---?
  • From: "Roger Smith" <rsmith@unb.ca>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 22:16:56 -0300

At 2:46 PM -0700 9/2/02, Ken Durling wrote:
>I'm curious if there are list members who made the step to upgrade
>from the FS2710 and to what.  I'm overall quite pleased with the 2710,
>and feel that I've put in a lot of time learning how to get the most
>from it.  I'm sure others probably experienced the same thing.
>
>I'm interested to know what exactly, but empirically, you noticed
>different after the upgrade.  Did anyone go from the 2710 to the 4000?
>
>The area I'd most like to see improvement in is shadow noise, but an
>overall higher resolution sounds attractive, notwithstanding the
>larger files.  I'm curious how much real-world difference this higher
>res makes, and in what circumstances it's most noticeable.

Hi Ken,
        I went from the FS2710 to the Minolta Scan Dual II (2820
ppi). On the positive side, the Minolta gave slightly sharper scans
with better shadow detail (especially with VueScan). It also has a
four-slide holder.
        On the negative side the Minolta tends to emphasize dirt and
scratches, which can be a problem with older slides and negatives.

Regards,
Roger Smith

PS:  I agree with Art's comments - I could have written them myself :-)