[filmscanners] Re: [filmscanners_Digest] filmscanners Digest for Tue 3 Sep,2002

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: [filmscanners_Digest] filmscanners Digest for Tue 3 Sep,2002
  • From: "Jonathan Ratzlaff" <jonathanr@clrtech.com>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 17:59:56 -0700

I have been reading the ongoing discussion regarding dynamic range and it
appears to be approaching the discussion about how many angels can sit on
the head of a pin.  There is a practical side of dynamic range however and
that is this, " How much information can I get out of the shadow areas of
Velvia film.  This is the real world test.   When I look at fuji's film
databook, it appears that the Dmax of the green sensitive layer is closer
to 4.0 than 3.5.  So in order to get shadow detail out of this area  you
need a scanner with dynamic range.  I don't really care how closely you
divide up the numbers somewhere along the line I need a scanner to get that
detail.
It seems to me that drum scanners did the job reasonably well using 8 bits
per channel.  If you have a scan with a lot of noise in the shadows, who
cares whether the noise is divided into big chunks (8 bit files)  or tiny
chunks (16 bit files), it is still noise.

My two bits worth