[filmscanners] RE: Dynamic range

> >"Todd Flashner" <tflash@earthlink.net> writes:
> > >>>>>>>>>>>
> >Yes, I suppose if one is convinced that DYR is a resolution that
> is the way
> >they'd have to approach it as such, but David, tell me, have you seen a
> >cited reference that supports that approach?
> ><<<<<<<<<<<<
>
> >David replies:
> >http://www.chipcenter.com/dsp/DSP000329F1.html
> >
> >"The dynamic range of a digital signal is the ratio of the maximum
> >full-scale signal representation to the smallest signal the DSP or data
> >converter can represent. For an N-bit system, the ratio is theoretically
> >equal to 6.02N. "
>
> Julian comments:  This quote says nothing about resolution,

Well, it's a FACT that N bits represents just so many integer values...that
the number of bits is directly related to the number of values that can be
represented.  That, in and of it self, IS a resolution.  8 bits can
represent only 256 values, so 256:1...or a dynamic range of 48dB...

> I don't know what the 6.02N is about, the ratio is theoretically 2^N (2 to
> the power N)
>
> This ratio calculation will give you the dynamic range AND the resolution
> in this case.  (But don't forget, this does not mean that dynamic range is
> the same thing as the resolution!!!)

But dynamic range DOES denote a resolution of the system.

Austin