[filmscanners] Re: Dynamic range

"Julian Robinson" <jrobinso@pcug.org.au> writes:

...  It is not hard to understand - 1dB is a small range (about 1.26 to 1),
100dB is a big range (10000000000 to 1). The range we are discussing is the
range from MDS to max signal, which in scanner case is Dmax to Dmin.

There are _two_ ways to talk about "Dmax to Dmin", you can talk about their
absolute values (transmittances in the range 0 to 1, for example) as a
density range or you can talk about the ratio of Dmax to MDS (or Dmin to MDS
depending on the definitions) as the dynamic range. If you claim that these
are equivalent, then Austin and I disagree, but if you think they are
different, then we all agree. That's all there is here.

David J. Littleboy
davidjl@gol.com
Tokyo, Japan