[filmscanners] RE: Slightly, somewhat OT

Although being mostly USB 1.1 and 2.0 user, as far as I've heard from the
friend of mine who is IEEE1394 fan (perhaps this is indeed better approach
right now instead of USB 2.0 - until USB2.0 will mature) this is fully hot
plug and play just like USB.
There is no dependency on particular port for any application and any of
these can be plugged or unplugged instantly.

A few months ago I brought USB 2.0 and Firewire HDD housings (USB for me,
IEEE1394 for him) and while his device reaches the expected performance
(30-35 MB/s) mince USB2.0 can hardly handle 13-17 MB/s though is also
expected for this performance.
Besides of that, if you run Win2k, the Firewire mass storage drivers are
built-in into the OS, while to run USB you need separate drivers to be
installed.
The Win XP Pro supports both instantly.

In any case, without any relation to the backup device choice, I would
recommend to use GHOST software which is the perfect system working-ready
backup software. It is especially invented to allow to the user to backup
his whole HDD including everything he has on it and in the case of HDD
failure you can easily replicate all you had on your new HDD with any need
for reinstallation. All your setups, software, anything is recovered exactly
as it was during the GHOST HDD image creation.

Regards,
Alex Z