[filmscanners] Upgrade Polaroid SS35+ to 4000?

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Upgrade Polaroid SS35+ to 4000?
  • From: "" <nick.grasso@hrads.com>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 14:34:20 -0400

I have a Polaroid SprintScan 35 Plus that I use on Windows NT with an Adaptec
SCSI adapter. I would like to upgrade to Windows XP but Polaroid says the
scanner won't work at all on XP. I am satisfied with the scanner but I would
like to run XP (for USB support and other reasons). Polaroid has offered to
upgrade my 35+ to a refurbished 4000 for $750. I am contemplating doing that or
else buying a new 2800 ppi scanner in the $800 price range (Nikon IV Ed, Minolta
Dimage, etc.). What do you think?
Some questions I have are:
-- Would 4000 ppi give me noticably better 12x16 prints than 2800?
-- Is ICE really as good as people say it is? (the 4000 doesn't have it and I
spend a lot of time fixing spots on my images in Photoshop)
-- How about dynamic range? Are the newer scanners better than the 4000?

Another thing is that I'm not very anxious to buy another Polaroid. First of
all, they are in bankruptcy, and secondly, I am not at all happy that they won't
upgrade my $1800 scanner (a lot of money for me) to the latest operating system.
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Nick