[filmscanners] Re: Scanning with too much resolution? (was: PS sharpening...)

Austin writes:

> I know you say you leave them at the scanned
> resolutions, but doesn't that put you at the
> mercy of what ever the browser does, and may
> degrade your image?

I suppose so, but I'm pretty much at the mercy of the browser and the
visitor's computer, anyway.  I gave up trying to get things just right long
ago, when it became apparent that not everyone calibrates his monitor or
worries about color depths or monitor resolutions or what-not.  I try to put
up photos that look good on my monitors and probably don't look too bad on
"average" computers, whatever that means, but there's still a lot a room for
my images to look bad on some systems.  I try not to stress about it.

The one consolation is that people with misconfigured systems that largely
hash my images are often quite clueless about their own computer systems and
about imaging in general, so the pictures still look good to them, as they
don't know what they are missing.

> When I have a "large" image in the browser,
> a lot of times it re-sizes the image, after
> it's done loading it...

MSIE certainly does this--it was a while before I realized it was doing so,
and then I turned it off.  But obviously I can't depend on others turning it
off, so I more or less have to live with the fact that my pictures may be
getting squished on some systems.  Then again, for my largest gallery I
offer two image sizes, with the smaller being the default, and I presume
that people with systems set up less than optimally are probably just
looking at the small versions, anyway (which are less likely to be
squished).