[filmscanners] RE: Scanner profile builder

Tony Terlecki writes ...

> Nikon doesn't have proper ICC colour management in its scanning
> software so any profile you make will have to be applied
> afterwards in Photoshop or another ICC compliant program.

  This is somewhat misleading.  The standalone Nikonscan software will
properly convert and embed a editing profile (e.g., AdobeRGB, Colormatch),
but not the device profile.  The twain software will properly convert to the
preferred color space but will not embed (... no twain scanning interface to
PS will embed ... the proper profile will have to be assigned by PS).  This
is the way Nikon makes CM work ... the only problem I have with the Nikon
software are the device profiles themselves.

  I have seen the "shadows" problem with Nikonscan, and I do believe it has
something to do with the device CLUT profiles.  I have also seen
posterization in other subtle gradients like skin tones, which disappeared
when I turned NS CM off.  I don't know if the original author has tried
turning CM off, but I suggest he/she try it and move to a 3rd party profiler
... or better yet ...

  After playing with Vuescan's raw files and the color capacity of my
LS-2000, I'm quite satisfied with the color accuracy of Vuescan and
embedding highbits into Ektaspace RGB.

cheerios ... shAf  :o)
Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
www.micro-investigations.com (in progress)