[filmscanners] RE: Scanner profile builder

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Scanner profile builder
  • From: "Alex Zabrovsky" <alexz@zoran.co.il>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 12:10:16 +0200

Julian, the NikonScan indeed offers numerous profiles to suit the scanners
the software is intended to work with (LS4000, LS40, LS2000 and perhaps few
others) and I assume the Nikon's CMS
uses them for color reproduction.

In the past I tried several free scanner calibration software available from
the internet scanning the IT8 target and producing the custom profiles.
Then applying them instead of Nikon's CMS (which was either OFF or tuned for
Scanner's RGB)
I got mixed results, some of them were marginally better then produced by
the CMS, others where worse then the CMS. I suspect the great deal of
profile's quality might be influenced by the calibration software itself
since the only responsibility for the profile quality is carried out by the
software algorithms.
I'll try the EZColor, perhaps this time I'll see some difference...

Regards,
Alex Z