[filmscanners] RE: Genuine Fractals ( was Re: Nikon Coolscan)

>answered Laurie's question

A clarification; none of the questions were my questions.  I have only
responded to other's questions. Anthony's question is a legitimate question
in its own right; it just was not the question that was asked and that I was
responding to.  My first reaction was to the fact that in raising his
question he appeared to be putting down the previous question as not being a
legitimate one - a moot one not worthy of asking much less responding to
while his was the important and non-moot legitimate question.

While I cannot, and do not intend to, speak to others' knowledge and
understanding of GF, I think that I have a good grip on what it is about,
how it works in general, what claims are being made for it, and how it is
said to differ from other types of programs.  First, it is a plugin
application and not a stand alone application.  Second, it makes use of
fractal technology methods to render image data into mathematical formula
like expressions from the original bitmapped or raster graphics (somewhat
along the lines of what happens with vector graphics although not exactly).
As an artfact of this rendering, it is able to produce file compression at
one of two levels (loseless and virtually loseless); but this is not the
main purpose or objective of the application.  It main objectve is to create
an encoded (read mathematicaly rendered) source file which is resolution
independent and can be opened at any size or resolution on varying occasions
so as to render or reconstitute the raster image at the needed size and
resolution.

The claimed benefits are that  (1) one does not have to save a set of files
at different image sizes and resolutions to meet one's actual and potential
future needs and (2) one does not need to worry about generating artifacts
as  a result of resizing and resampling the same source file multiple
different times and ways as is the case with traditional resizing and
resampling methods.  The limitations to date are that the plugin only
handles 24 bit images, requires one not to sharpen the image with USM prior
to saving it as a .stn (GF) file leaving all such sharpening until the file
is reopened for outputting to a particular output device for use otherwise
artfacts will be produced, and the encoding decoding process is very slow.