[filmscanners] RE: Lab scans

>When I enquired about the  resolution of the scans, I was told good enough
for a 12x8 inch print. When I
> got the scans back however they are 1024x1536 at 72dpi. So therefore I can
only get 3.4x5 inch print at 300dpi.

First it tells you that one should never accept another's notion of "good
enough" at face value but ask for detaols like what the resolution at that
size would be which they are calling good enough and what end use the are
thinking of when they say "good enough."  that scan may be good enough for
monitor viewing or the web but not so for other forms of output or uses.

>I spoke to my lab, who say that it's possible to get a 12x8  print from
their
> scan, scanned at base 4 using their £200,000 Noritsu printer.

Yes it may be possible; but only with interpolation.  If you upsampled via
bicubic interpolation in Photoshop, you too can get a 12X8 at 300dpi; but
that is not optical resolution which is always preferable to resampled data.

> They say that they don't like to scan  larger as I
> wouldn't be able to open their massive 18MB scans on my computer!

Pure bull.  They may not like to do it because they may service mostly
undiscerning customers wqho are only wanting the scan to put on the web or
email to grandmother.  Most standard files for output to other than email or
the web run from 20-40MB with high quality scans running into the 100Mb
range.  18MB is not massive nor impossible to open on your computer unless
your computer is from the stone age or a handheld.  It is large when it
comes to use online but not for other purposes.

>One option

Your best option is to upsampled via bicubic interpolation in Photoshop and
do your retouching at home yourself. Print it out via inkjet as a proof to
see if it is acceptible.  If so, submit the reworked file to the lab to
print if they can.