Apache-Talk @lexa.ru 

Inet-Admins @info.east.ru 

Filmscanners @halftone.co.uk 

Security-alerts @yandex-team.ru 

nginx-ru @sysoev.ru 




      :: Filmscanners
Filmscanners mailing list archive (filmscanners@halftone.co.uk)

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[filmscanners] Re: film departing soon

In wet darkroom, "Fibre" or "fiber" refers to papers which do not use
polymers or resin coatings, such as the RC papers.  Fiber papers are
made of paper/rag pulp and then coated with silver halide laden
emulsions, and that's it.  Thiosulfates can ruin the permanence of a
fibre paper image too, so improper rinsing can make a photo as transient
as a bad inkjet print.

It gets a bit trickier with inkjet.  What coatings or emulsions are
acceptable?  What about mordents or sizing?  Is a gelatin coated rag
paper "fibre?  What about one with a water soluble acrylic polymer that
replaces gelatin?

And, fiber or not, if the inks are transient, what good is it that the
paper will last 500 years?


Julian Vrieslander wrote:

> On 8/3/02 10:44 AM, "HPA" <tom@historicphotoarchive.com> wrote:
>>I have a full digital darkroom, and chemical as well.  The market is strong
>>in both.  Digital prints are selling very well, if priced right ($10-12
>>wholesale, $20-30 retail, for 11x14). Many young people who are trying to
>>get art photography shows in this region are finding that even coffee shops
>>will not hang inkjet prints anymore, they need real prints, and that art
>>buyers are wising up and asking for fiber.  I am focusing now on digital
>>fiber.  I can tell you there is a big demand there right now.
> Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "fiber"?  I thought that all
> papers, for wetlab or digital prints, contain fibers.
> --
> Julian Vrieslander <julianv@mindspring.com>

Unsubscribe by mail to listserver@halftone.co.uk, with 'unsubscribe 
or 'unsubscribe filmscanners_digest' (as appropriate) in the message title or 


Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.