[filmscanners] Re: Macintosh Image Archiving/Indexing Software

Regarding software for the Mac, I've been looking into this.  I've
downloaded all of the following demos.  Here are the programs I've found and
some prelim info.  I'm running on a 400MHz G4 under OS X 10.1.4 and OS
9.2.2.  The one speed test I did was to add a 10 image set that averaged
47Mb per image.  The results I got are puzzling.

Apple iPhoto - free - Very attractive except for a huge flaw for my use - it
keeps a copy of the image on your hard drive.  This wipes out the ability to
off-load indexed images to CD and still have them in your index.  Also, it
seemed like it could only use a limited number of keywords. Didn't do the
speed test.

ACDSee - $40  Doesn't seem to support keywords per se; rather searches on
the Comments field.  But searches are only made on the ACTIVE folder.  So I
didn't see how to search the entire database. Seemed strange.  Maybe I
missed it. Speed test = 42 sec.

Iview Media Pro - $50 Also seemed to only search on keywords in OPEN
folders.  Also bombs every time I quit. Speed test =6 sec.

FotoStation 4.5 - $100  Doesn't yet support OS X, therefore, didn't try it.

Canto Cumulus 5.5 - $100  Doesn't yet support OS X. But I tested it anyway.
Doesn't seem to have keywords, per se, but you can search in several of the
data fields.  Speed test = 40 sec.

Extensis Portfolio - $200  Beta version for OS X is available for testing.
Speed test = 4 sec.

I'm GUESSING that the 4 and 6 second results for adding the 10 large images
somehow grabbed existing thumbnails while the approx 40 second ones "built"
their own.  So I don't know that the test is meaningful.  Opinions??

Brad Smith