[filmscanners] Topic: HP S20 colour fringing

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Topic: HP S20 colour fringing
  • From: "Mike Brown" <mike.brown@mindblown.com>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 20:25:10 +0100

Art

Thanks for the reply.

The fringing I'm bothered about is definitely being created by the scanner -
I've got another scan of the same image that has little or no fringing. I
suspect the problem happens more often with thicker slide mounts but the
sample image you saw was from a colour neg (witness the white dust specks!).

The S20 doesn't seem to suffer from quite the same defects as the S10 but it
does also have some pretty unpleasant fine banding (alternate horizontal
stripes of different hues) visible in solid areas of colour. Blue skies can
be a problem. (Maybe that's the micro banding you mentioned?). Using the
despeckle filter in Photoshop fixes it, at the loss of a bit of resolution.
Again it's difficult to know how much to put up with in a "domestic"
scanner.

I'll give the upside down "fix" a try but it sounds like the scanner is
probably going back to the dealer. I've only had it a few weeks and I have
already phoned them and told them I thought there was a problem with it.

Best regards

Mike Brown