[filmscanners] Colour fringing

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Colour fringing
  • From: "Mike Brown" <mike.brown@mindblown.com>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 11:21:12 +0100

I'm relatively new to the list so apologies if this one has been done to
death but...

I recently bought a cheap-ish scanner, an HP Photosmart S20, and I've been a
bit disappointed with the results. I'm getting better results overall now
I've bought Vuescan but haven't resolved the fringing issue. It's difficult
to know what to expect as nobody ever puts full size sample files on their
websites! I've done the usual trawl around the net but can't find fringing
mentioned as a particular problem.

I started off scanning some very old slides & noticed the fringing.
Initially I put it down to having used a cheap teleconverter with a russian
lens. I've noticed the problem with other slides and negatives though and I
think it's something to do with the stepper motor drive or film slippage.
The fringing is always across the narrow dimension ie at 90 degrees to the
direction of movement. The fringing isn't always there and is often only
present in a few places in the scan (or is much worse in a few places).
Rescanning produces different results, sometimes with no fringing.

If anyone wants to take a look there's a small jpg extracted from a larger
scan at http://www.royalwindsor.org.uk/S20_fringing.jpg. A
quarter-resolution version of full 2400dpi scan is available at
http://www.royalwindsor.org.uk/Wheel_wait_qtr.jpg. Personally I'm aware of
red fringes on the right hand side of the verticals even at 800x600.

Comments gratefully received!

Mike Brown