[filmscanners] Re: Black and white scans on LS4000 EDandotherissues

Art,

I'm sorry if my reference to "someone like Art" has upset you; it was not
intended to do so - quite the opposite in fact, as it was really a
compliment to your experience and knowledge. I said it to Brian to contrast
my relative inexperience in serious photography with people like you and
Brian who obviously have far more experience than I do. But one of the main
things you learn in becoming a scientist is to question everything. That is
not to say that I think that you are wrong in your statements about the
relative merits of diffuse and collimated light sources in scanners - you
may well be right (and Austin says you are), but I want to know why it works
the way you both say it does. So I will read and re-read your comments, and
those of Austin and Brian, and follow up Brian's references (and any that
you may have that throws further light - collimated of course - on the
subject).

Respectfully yours,

Bob Frost.