[filmscanners] Re: Monolta Dimage Scan Dual II

I have a Minolta Dual II.  I don't use it as much as the other scanner I
have access to, but I am using it on occasion more to do some
comparisons, and trying to come up with better ways to work with it.

I have been using Minolta's own software with it.  I find it fine for
most applications.  The one area where Vuescan seems to help is in
eliminating or reducing, at least, shadow noise.  Roger Smith uses
Vuescan with the Dual II, and has sent me samples.  The "slow scan" or
Long scan or whatever it is called does reduce the shadow noise.
Multi-scans seem to do little to improve things.  The one thing I am
trying to get in touch with Minolta about is a way to defocus the
scanner optics by adjustable offsets to help limit capturing data
outside of the frequency the scanner can handle based upon its sampling
rate.  I think this might improve results, and probably can be dealt
with via either a software or firmware change.

Other than that, the scanner, assuming yours doesn't suffer from the QC
problems some have (with "lazy" sensor elements) is a pretty good
product for the price.

Art