[filmscanners] Re: Density vs Dynamic range

<http://www.prosig.com/signal-processing/dynamicrange.html>

This is just one reference to show that RMS measurements *are* used to
derive dynamic range for *some* applications.

In a scanner, we are using a CCD device to make static charge measurements.
The noise can still be characterized by an RMS measurement, but the upper
limit is determined by a saturation effect.  So it is not surprising to
find:

<http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en/digital/ccd/ccdTerminology.pdf>

On page 16:  "Dynamic Range (DR) is the ratio of the maximum output signal,
or saturation level, of an image sensor to the dark noise level of the
imager.  The dark noise level, or noise floor of an imager is typically
expressed as the root mean square (rms) variation in dark signal voltage."
[The definition continues, with equation showing how to form the dB value]

--
Julian Vrieslander <julianv@mindspring.com>