[filmscanners] Re: Vuescan setting for "true neg?"

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 20:47:21 -0230, you wrote:

>Ken writes ...
>
>> Working with B&W negatives, is there a combination of settings of BP,
>> WP and Brightness - and possibly other settings - that would
>> theoretically give you an image that is "unaltered" of your negative -
>> similar to putting the neg in the enlarger?   ...
>
>  I would think you'd want to begin working with Vuescan's 'raw' file ...
>but a curious question is ... that is, because the raw data will be in an
>inapproprite gamma=1 space ... "would you want to invert before applying an
>appropriate gamma (to the positive), and then invert back?" ... or ... "is
>it the same thing to apply the same appropriate gamma to the negative
>data???"

Thanks Michael.  I haven't used the "raw" file option before, I just
save as TIFF files.  Exploring your suggestion, I see that when I
instruct Vuescan to save a 'raw' file, it produces a default file name
with a .tif suffix.  How is this different than the normal xxx.tif it
saves?

Ken