[filmscanners] RE: Density vs Dynamic range

> As this agrees with my engineering understanding, and not the strange
> figures that the scanning industry have been kicking around I'm going to
> say no more on this.

I have never agreed with the methodology and numbers that the consumer
scanner industry has used, except perhaps Polaroid...who had an extensive
testing procedure and specifically tested very similarly to what the ISO
testing procedure is defining.

> I suspect my "discussions" with Austin have been unnecessarily prolonged
> by his adherence to these non-engineering standards.

Woah, Peter...what non-engineering standards are you talking about?  What I
specifically quoted as the formula for dynamic range is straight out of an
engineering Bible for signal processing.  I've also been an engineer in this
VERY field for more than 20 years, so I don't understand why you believe
anything I've said is not in "adherence to ... non-engineering standards".
In fact, the equation below is exactly the same as I've been saying all
along, and meets with every aspect of what I've said.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here, Peter...but you're way off
base.

Austin