[filmscanners] Re: Archiving and when to sharpen(was:Color spaces for differentpurposes)

Mac writes:

> Contrary to what Anthony Atkielski wrote,
> I have NEVER seen a LZW Tiff come out larger
> than an uncompressed one, regardless of exact
> pixel content.

Real-world photographic images rarely come out larger after compression, but
I can generate such an image in about 30 seconds in Photoshop.  I did that
just now and got one that is 20% larger after compression.

> I have also never seen a compressed TIFF
> come out equal to or smaller than a JPEG
> at the same pixel dimensions, regardless of
> how how the quality setting of the JPEG.

Since JPEG is lossless and TIFF is not, this is to be expected.

> The only time I've seen a compressed file come
> out larger than a non-compressed one
> is when using .zip on a JPEG.

JPEGs are virtually incompressible to begin with, which is why attempts to
losslessly compress them further will often produce larger files.